5 Things to Know About the Illinois Abortion Bill
Recently, we have seen a flurry of breaking news and information about abortion laws around the country. Illinois has been no exception. Here are 5 things you need to know about the IL abortion bill:
1. The Reproductive Health Act (SB25) passed the IL House of Representatives by 14 votes. It was attached as an Amendment to the Mental Health and Developmental Disability code. It now moves to the Senate where it is likely to pass this week.
2. SB25 was posted in the Rules Committee at 6:08pm on a Sunday night during Memorial Day weekend. Despite only having an hour notice, nearly 5,000 people submitted witness slips in opposition of the bill.
3. What SB25 changes:
- Repeals the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act
- Remove all restrictions and limitations on late-term abortions through full 9 months of pregnancy.
- Remove conscience protections from pro-life medical professionals
- Mandate all private insurance plans cover abortions with no religious exemptions.
- Removes the rights of an unborn child who can survive outside the womb
- Allows for non-physicians to do surgical abortions
- Removes the licensing requirements for abortion clinics, removes penalties for performing an abortion procedure on a woman who is not pregnant and lifts the ban on the sale and experimentation of an unborn baby
- Eliminates the requirement to publicly report abortion statistics, such as repeat abortions, number of out-of-state women receiving abortions and number of abortions performed on underage girls.
- Entirely repeals the Illinois Parental Notification Act of 1995, which mandates that no physician can knowingly perform an abortion on a minor child (17 years old and younger) until that physician (or an agent of the physician) has ensured that the child’s parent, grandparent or legal guardian has received notice 48 hours prior to performing the abortion that his or her child is seeking an abortion.
-Source, Aid for Women
4. Once passed, the law goes into effect immediately.
5. The amount of women seeking abortions in IL will increase. We will need you, now more than ever, in order to reach these women FIRST, before they reach the abortion clinic. Please donate today, to help us win hearts and minds for truth about life in the womb and to give women and babies hope and a future.